ACA President Dr Sjibolt Noorda took part to the Leadership Forum in Higher Education held in Warsaw on 22-23 January, 2015. The theme of the forum was ‘The Golden Triangle of Internationalisation: Governance, Management and Financing’. Participants gathered from 16 different countries, ranging from university rectors and deans to international specialists and directors of related-institutions, passing from heads of international offices and business leaders. Dr Noorda also wrote the summary of the proceedings, highlighting the main lessons learnt, among which:
Among the main highlights of the event, there has been also the presentation by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the first-ever internationalisation strategy for the country (see ACA Newsletter “Education Europe”, Edition January 2015).
- the importance to measure and monitor internationalization processes;
- the need to show the value of internationalization for local and regional communities and interests;
- the relevance of the entrepreneurial style;
- the acknowledgement that internationalization is not only teaching and learning but also leadership and management;
- the crucial role of leadership, defined in terms of competence, continuity and community commitment.
The next Leadership Forum will take place in November 2015 and will pertain to issues of student employability, cooperation of HEIs with business and the relationship of science to industry.